– Home –
Introduction to The 2nd International Winter School for Aquaplanetology
- This international school aims to learn comparative planetary geology and geophysics on terrestrial planets and icy bodies in the Solar System. The lectures will focus on planetary surface processes, including fluvial processes, volcanoes, tectonics, impact craters, and co-evolutions with the interior. The main target of the audience includes graduate students in PhD course and early carrier researchers. The lecturers will be Jay Melosh (Purdue Univ.), Michael Manga (UC Berkeley), Nicolas Mangold (Nantes Univ.), Samuel Howell (NASA JPL), and Gabriel Tobie (Nantes Univ.).
- Thursday, February 27 - Sunday, March 1, 2020
- Aso Plaza Hotel (Address:1287 Uchinomaki, Aso-shi, Kumamoto Prefecture)
- List of Lecturers:
- – Prof. Jay Melosh (Purdue University)
- – Prof. Michael Manga (University of California, Berkeley)
- – Prof. Nicolas Mangold (University of Nantes)
- – Dr. Samuel Howell (NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
- – Dr. Gabriel Tobie (University of Nantes)
– Location –
Access to the venue, Aso Plaza Hotel
- ♦ ♦ Chartered Bus Survice ♦ ♦
- A chartered bus will pick you up at JR Kumamoto Sta. and at Kumamoto Airport on February 27, and drop you off at the same points on your way back on March 1.
- < Schedule & Pick-Up/Drop-off Point > ∗ A bus driver will be waiting at the points with a sign "Aquaplanetology".
- February 27
- 10:00 Kumamoto Sta. - Outside of Shinkansen Ticket Gate →Kumamoto Station Map
- 11:00 Kumamoto Airport - Arrival robby on the 1st floor →Kumamoto Airport Froor Map
- March 1
- 15:00 Kumamoto Airport
- 16:15 Kumamoto Sta.
– Program –
- Feb. 27th (Thu)
- 14:30-15:00 Registration
15:00-17:30 Lecture 1 "Interior and surface interactions" by Gabriel Tobie
18:00-20:00 Welcome Party
- Feb. 28th (Fri)
- 9:00-11:30 Lecture 2 "Planetary volcanism" by Michael Manga
11:30-18:00 lunch & field tour for Aso caldera and Kumamoto earthquake
- Feb 29th (Sat)
- 9:00-11:30 Lecture 3 "Impact cratering" by Jay Melosh
11:30-14:30 Lunch & Short Excursion
14:30-17:00 Lecture 4 "Fluvial processes" by Nicolas Mangold
- Mar. 1st (Sun)
- 9:00-11:30 Lecture 5 "Planetary tectonics" by Samuel Howell
– Registration –
- Registration Deadline
November 30, 2019
- December 13, 2019
- Registration fee
- Unless you have specific preferences, we would like to make accommodation reservation (Aso Plaza Hotel, shared type (4 persons per room) ). If you have any problems on this, you can arrange for your accommodation by yourself. In that case, please let us know.
- Accomodation Fee (Including Welcome Reception Fee)
- JPY 39,000 (Approx. USD 360)
- Cancellation fee will not arise until January 28. Thereafter, it may not be refunded in full.
– Contact –
- Tokyo Institute of Technology / Earth-Life Science Institute (ELSI)
I7E-302, 2-12-1 IE-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, 152-8550, Japan