Introduction to The 1st International Winter School for Aquaplanetology
- This international school aims to learn the co-evolution of interior-surface-atmosphere systems on terrestrial planets that possess surface liquid water. The lectures will focus on the formation and evolution of aqueous environments on early Mars. The main target of the students includes graduate students in PhD course and young researchers. The lecturers will be Robin Wordsworth (Harvard Univ.), Bethany Ehlmann (Caltech), Jeffrey Catalano (Washington Univ.), Viciano Debaille (Univ. Libre De Bruxelles), and Naoki Terada (Tohoku Univ.).
- February 28 - March 3, 2019
- Koyasan University (Address: Koyasan 385, Koya-cho, Ito-gun, Wakayama Prefecture, 648-0280, Japan)
- List of Lecturers:
- –Jeffrey G. Catalano (Washington University in St.Louis)
- –Vinciane Debeille (Universite Libre de Bruxelles)
- –Bethany L. Ehlmann (California Institute of Technology)
- –Naoki Terada (Tohoku University)
- –Robin Wordsworth (Harvard University)
<Maps and Local Area Information>
Access to Koyasan (Mt.Koya)
- •From Kansai International Airport, take a train of Nankai Line to Tengachaya Station, then transfer to Nankai Koya Line. The 80 to 100-minute ride takes you to Gokurakubashi Station, where you transfer to a cable car, which arrives at Koyasan Station in 5 minutes.
- •For access instructions from other major transportation hubs, see this page.
- Note: Cable car from Gokurakubashi Sta. to Koyasan Sta. will be unavailable due to renewal from November 26, 2018 to February 28, 2019 (scheduled). Substitute bus service is provided from Hashimoto Sta. to Daimon Minami chushajo (temporary Koyasan Sta.) during this period. Please pay attention to the information about the cable car and check this page.
Access from Koyasan Station to Koyasan University
- •Take Nankai Rinkan Bus bound for "Okunoinmae"/"Okunoinguchi"/etc.〈bus No.11-13, 21-24, 31-33〉 and get off at "Senjuin-bashi". Or take a taxi.
- •Note:Taxi at Koyasan is out of service after 5 p.m. and there are only few buses running in the evening. Please check the timetable beforehand.
—Nankai Rinkan Bus Route Map—
—Access to Koyasan Univ. from Bus Stop "Senjuin-bashi"—
Koyasan University Campus Map
Abstracts of Lectures
- Reception desk will be open at 2:30 p.m. on Feb. 28 at the lecture room 206, Building B (② in the Campus Map), Koyasan University.
- December 31, 2018
Accomodation fee (including welcome party and banquet fee)
- JPY 40,000 (Approx. USD 400)
- Cancellation fee will not arise until January 28. Thereafter, it may not be refunded in full.
- Unless you have specific preferences, we would like to make accommodation reservation which is located convenient for commuting to Koyasan University.
- Accommodation is shared type (3 or 4 person per room), has communal showers and bathrooms, and is separated by male and female.
- Stay in Koyasan area would be exotic, great experience to you. If you have any problems on this, you can arrange for your accommodation by yourself. In that case, please let us know.
Henjosonin:the hotel reserved for the winter school attendees
- :http://www.henson583.com/index.php(only in Japanese)
- Located in 6-minute walk from Koyasan University.
- Access to Henjosonin from Koyasan Station
- •Take Nankai Rinkan Bus bound for "Daimon Minami Chushajo"〈Bus No.31,51〉 or "Hanasaka"〈Bus No.13〉 and get off at "Reihokan-mae". One minute walk from the bus stop will take you to the hotel, Henjosonin.
- •Or take Nankai Rinkan Bus bound for "Okunoinmae"/"Okunoinguchi"/etc.〈bus No.11, 12, 21-24, 32, 33,〉 and get off at "Senjuin-bashi〈east〉". It takes 10 minutes to the hotel on foot.
—Nankai Rinkan Bus Route Map—
- –Time Table @Koyasan Sta.
–Time Table @Reihokan-mae
–Time Table @Senjuin-bashi〈east〉
—Access to Hotel Henjosonin from Bus Stop "Reihokan-mae" & "Senjuin-bashi"—
- For more information of Nankai Rinkan Bus such as bus fares, please check this page.
- Tokyo Institute of Technology / Earth-Life Science Institute (ELSI)
I7E-302, 2-12-1 IE-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, 152-8550, Japan